Even though he has faced harsh criticism from Latinos for his harsh criticism of Mexico and illegal immigration, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump received an endorsement from Mexican-Amercan MMA Fighter Tito Ortiz.
Ortiz is a former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion who now fights in the Bellator MMA Light Heavyweight division. Ortiz had previously met Trump by appearing on season nine of The Celebrity Apprentice. He was eventually fired on the show, but not before raising $70,000 in a charity project for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Ortiz announced his support on In The Loop on SportsRadio 610 with Nick Wright and John Lopez. “I’m a Trump guy. I wasn’t in the beginning of course. I’m Mexican and what he said we need to take out all the Mexicans of the United States, well good luck on that one,” said Ortiz. “But in the long run I think he wants to bring money back to our country and with the debt that we are, I think he has an oppurtunity to to do that.”
Four months ago, Ortiz was less enthusiastic about the presidential candidate by stating in a video he would vote for Kanye West before he would vote for Trump. So Ortiz saying he wasn’t a Trump guy at first was pretty accurate.
Ortiz continued, “It’s not just the Mexicans we have to worry about. It’s the Muslims, it’s the radicals come in, have an oppurtunity to come in from Mexico to our country and do the thing with terrorism that’s hindering our country. We shouldn’t be afraid to walk around and look over our shoulders and some guy has a bomb in his pocket or something stupid. I think it needs to be taken care of and I don’t believe the President we have now did not do the job. I, think in my opinion, Trump can do a lot better.”
UFC President Dana White also announced his support for Trump, whom Ortiz has feuded with for almost a decade. It looks like they found something they can agree on. Ironically, Ortiz’s ex-partner and former porn actress Jenna Jameson has endorsed Marco Rubio, another Republican presidential candidate.
Hosts Nick Peralta and Will Moss discuss the updated news for UFC 196, the future of the Heavyweight division, preview UFC on Fox 18 this Saturday, and continue the topic of Bellator and RIZIN Fighting Federations relationship.
First Cain Velasquez pulled out as an contender for the UFC Heavyweight Championship due to injury, but now the champion Fabricio Werdum has pulled out for another injury. Without a title or interim matchup, UFC 196 has been downgraded from a pay-per view event to a free event on Fox Sports 1.
Former title holder Velasquez (11-2 UFC) pulled out against current champion Werdum ( 8-2 UFC) citing a back injury, and contender Stipe Miocic ( 8-2 UFC) was to step in as a replacement. But Werdum also pulled out claiming a back and foot injury, so now the Heavyweight Title card has been dropped.
Former Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks (12-3 UFC) will now face Stephen Thompson (6-1 UFC) for the main event. The rest of the main card includes Roy Nelson vs Jared Rosholt, Rafael Calvacante vs Ovince St. Preux, and Joseph Benavidez vs Zach Machovsky. The event will be at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, NV on Febuary 6 with the first preliminary card starting at 6 p.m. ET, the second preliminary at 8 p.m ET, and the main card at 10 p.m. ET.
Sources: (http://mmajunkie.com/2016/01/after-losing-headliner-ufc-196-shifts-from-pay-per-view-to-fox-sports-1?utm_source=fb-UFC196TOFS1&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebook, http://www.mmanews.com/fabricio-werdum-pulls-out-of-miocic-fight-ufc-196-left-without-main-event/)
Both halves of The UFC Heavyweight headliner for UFC 196 have now pulled out due to injury.
Fabrico Werdum has now pulled out of the main event for UFC 196 due to a foot and back injury 12 days out from the event. Cain Velasquez was replaced just one day prior by Stipe Miocic.
No news or response from the UFC on this matter as of now but stay tuned for any more breaking news.
The UFC’s next trip to Brazil will feature a welterweight slobberknocker.
Matt “The Immortal” Brown vs. Demian Maia was announced Monday by UFC senior Vice President Giovani Decker. The card takes place on May 14th while now venue has been chosen as of press time.
Maia (22-6, 16-6 in UFC), who is ranked fifth in the UFC rankings has been knocking on the the door to a title shot and is currently riding a 4-fight winning streak. Maia most recently dismantled Gunnar Nelson at UFC 194 last December.
Brown (20-13, 13-7 in UFC) was recently forced from a bout with Kelvin Gastelum last November due to injury. His last fight was a first-round submission victory over Tim Means last Summer. Brown is currently ranked No. 6 in the UFC’s media generated rankings.
This card will be headlined by Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Vitor “The Phenom” Belfort.
Cain Velasquez has suffered a back injury and has pulled out of his championship rematch against Fabricio Werdum at UFC 196 on Feb. 6th. Now, Stipe Miocic will take the title fight on 13 days notice against the Brazilian champion. Dana White confirmed the news via Twitter.
Cain Velasquez lost his Heavyweight championship against Werdum last June in a fight that took place at high elevation in Mexico City, Mexico. Werdum submitted Cain with a third round guillotine submission after a phenomenal performance throughout the opening two rounds where he found success against Cain standing and in the clinch.
Stipe Miocic is coming off a 1st round knockout of former Heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski earlier this month at UFC 195. After the bout, Stipe demanded a title shot from thE UFC brass was verbally awarded such after the event from Dana White at the events post fight press conference.
Edmond Tarverdyan, coach and manager of the Glendale Fight Club in Los Angeles County, appears to be in legal trouble yet again. The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) revoked his corner license last week for allegedly falsifying his application in a regards to a past. Tarverdyan (age) was arrested in December 2010 on two counts of felony identity theft and one count of misdemeanor resisting arrest, according to public documents. The identity theft counts were dropped to misdemeanors and Tarverdyan ended up pleading no contest to the three minor chargers. Tarverdyan was sentenced to one day in jail, three years in jain and 30 days of community service, and fined $610.
The case against Tarverdyan is to be heard at a meeting on Febuary 2 in Los Angeles, according to a report filed by CSAC executive director Andy Foster to Association of Boxing Commissions president Mike Mazzulli on Jan 12. The report also stated that Foster will not seek any suspension MMA Coach until receives due process. But until then, Tarverdyan cannot serve as a corner man in the state of California, and possibly other states since athletic board commissions tend to respect each other suspensions.
Tarverdyan is a former MMA fighter and Muay Thai champion and now coaches elite fighters such as Ronda Rousey and Travis Browne (who are also a couple now). 2015 was a rough year for Tarverdyan, as both Browne and Rousey lost fights that year, and legal troubles involving alleged tax evasion and filing for bankruptcy. On top of Rousey’s mother Dr. AnnaMarie De Mars (a former Judo champion herself) criticized his coaching and character back in October.
Introducing the first new podcast show featured by MMAOutsiders.com. MMA Outsiders journalist and writer Nick Peralta hosts the MMA Discussion podcast show along side Will Moss and will featured every Wednesday. Each week Nick and his panel discuss weekly news, recap events, and occasionally are joined by special guest fighters, coaches and fellow writers weekly.
On the 82nd episode of the MMA Discussion podcast WSOF 27 Headliner and Light Heavyweight Teddy “The Hitman” Holder joins us to talk about his upcoming fight this Saturday, his future with WSOF, and much more!
Hosts Nick Peralta and Will Moss recap UFC Fight Night 81, and Invicta FC 15, discuss upcoming matchups in the UFC’s Middleweight division as well as whats next for Dominick Cruz.
Click below to play:
Photo Credit: MMA Fight Night Live
The World Series of Fighting Bantamweight championship will be on the line at WSOF 28 as Marlon Moraes looks to defend his title for third time against number one contender Joseph Barajas.
Moraes (15-4-1, 8-0 in WSOF) is currently riding a 10-fight winning streak that has included three knockouts and 2 submissions since 2011. While Moraes may be looking for his third title defense, it would more likely be the fourth defense had a previous opponent in Cody Bollinger made weight. Moraes won the Bantamweight title back in early 2014 and has been with organization since the beginning back in it’s debut event where he upset the former WEC Bantamweight champion Miguel Torres.
Barajas (12-1, 1-0 in WSOF) entertained many in his spectacular fight and finish of Erik Villalobos at WSOF 25. Barajas has finished 7 of his 12 wins, three submissions and 4 knockouts, and looks to become only the second ever WSOF Bantamweight champion.
WSOF 28 takes place on Feb. 28th in Garden Grove, California. The event will air live on NBC Sports Network at 9 p.m ET. The card so far includes:
-Marlon Moraes vs. Joseph Barajas
-Timur Valiev vs. Chris Gutierrez
Jon Jones posted a video on Facebook yesterday with the tag line “13 weeks”. Approximately 13 weeks away is April 23rd, the rumored date of UFC 198, and the date UFC tried to reserve for an event in Madison Square Garden.
Little is known as to if this is set in stone, but it appears that Jones quest to regain the championship that he was never beaten for may begin and end at UFC 198. The Venue and City is unknown.
(note; with the cancellation of UFC 196 this will likely be on the same date but at UFC 197)
Photo credit- ZUFFA