Photo Credit: MMA Fight Night Live
One intriguing women’s Bantamweight fight has been added to the UFC’s return to Australia next month in March.
The UFC announced Wednesday the return of Japanese star Rin Nakai vs. Leslie Smith would be added to UFC Fight Night 85: Hunt vs. Mir in Brisbane, Australia.
Nakai (16-1-1, 0-1 in UFC) is coming off a long layoff, not having competed since September of 2014. Nakai made her UFC debut in her home country of Japan where her then undefeated record was tarnished at the hands of Miesha Tate via a unanimous decision loss. Nakai has served most of that time since on the shelf whereas Miesha has gone on to win two more fights and earn another shot at the UFC Women’s Bantamweight title. Of Nakai’s 16 wins, 10 are by submission or TKO.
Smith (7-6-1, 1-2 in UFC) is also coming off a long layoff after a loss. Smith returns of the heels of a horrific TKO loss to Jessica Eye where Smith’s ear was horribly damaged during the fight at UFC 180. That fight was 16 months ago and Smith has gone 1-3 in her last four. Her only victory inside the Octagon thus far has been against TUF veteran Jessamyn Duke at UFC Fight Night 45.
UFC Fight Night 85 takes place at Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia on March 20th. The event is scheduled to air on Fox Sports 1 and the card is now as is now as follows:
- Mark Hunt vs. Frank Mir
- Hector Lombard vs. Neil Magny
- Steve Bosse vs. James Te Huna
- Alan Jouban vs. Brendan O’Reilly
- Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Daniel Kelly
- Seo Hee Ham vs. Bec Rawlings
- Johnny Case vs. Jake Matthews
- Viscardi Andrade vs. Richard Walsh
- Ross Pearson vs. Abel Trujillo
- Chad Laprise vs, Alan Patrick
- Mark Eddiva vs. Daniel Hooker
- Rin Nakai vs. Leslie Smith
- Ben Nguyen vs, Justin Scoggins