Matt Hughes recently had this to say to mmafighting.com, “If I could find an opponent that I think I could beat, I would go again”. Well with the recent news that Matt Hughes was possibly interested in fighting again, he was called out by a legend, Royce Gracie. Not to get off track but earlier this week Vitor Belfort had mentioned the UFC should have a legends division. Bellator already proved that “fun fights” can gain lots of attention and good ratings.
Matt Hughes has not fought since September 24th, 2011. On the UFC 135 card, where he lost by first round KO to Josh Koscheck. Before that, B.J Penn also finished him in the first round, putting him on a 2 fight losing skid. Matt Hughes has a career record of 45-9. He is a former UFC welterweight champion, he defended his welterweight title 6 times during his first run as champion. Recently, he told Joe Buck that he’s “in talks” to fight again.
Only time will tell if comes back and which promotion, Bellator seems likely. Royce Gracie who most recently fought for Bellator, back in February 2016, when he took on Ken Shamrock. He won by first round TKO. Royce Gracie is what you call an OG, he goes all the way back to UFC 1 . On the subject of Matt Hughes, Gracie had this to say “Man, that would be great, that would be great. Everybody wants to see this second fight.”
These two first fought back at UFC 60, Matt Hughes won by first round TKO. The first fight wasn’t even close, Matt Hughes dominated. So would you be interested in seeing a rematch?
B.J. Penn will return against Dennis Siver in Oklahoma City, on June 25, on the new UFC Fight Night card. The new match up was announced on The UFC Tonight show, a weekly program that is no stranger to breaking news.
We last saw Penn take on Yair Rodriguez, a one sided beat down. While Siver is tough, he’s not nearly the killer that Yair is, this is a very winnable fight for Penn. Dennis Siver is a 38 year old fighter on a two fight losing streak.
Penn is far past his prime and taken many beatings in his last few fights but the guy just doesn’t wanna call it quits. You have to admire his fire and determination to get back on track and get his hand raised again in the octagon. Can’t be good for his health though, many believe he should retire, but that is Penn’s decision, not the fans.
The Associated Press says that Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva will finally get that fight after all. The pair will headline Bellator 180 on June 24th at the Madison Square in New York City. The two were supposed to fight back at UFC 175 in 2014, but both fighters got suspended indefinitely for failed PED tests.
Bellator President Scott Corker told the AP that it will also be Bellator’s first pay-per view event. “We always said when we come to New York, we’ll bring the biggest and best fight card we’ve ever had in the history of this company. We’re putting it together, and our roster is robust enough that we feel like it’s time we get in the pay-per view business, so here we go.
Silva hasn’t fought in over two years since the suspension in June 2014, while Sonnen came back to fight Tito Ortiz at Bellator in January. The two have gone back and forth with trash talk on Twitter over the years, so there will likely still be tension between the two. Both fighters maybe older and rustier, but we finally get the “Axe Murderer” Silva against the “American Gangster” Sonnen.
Former UFC light-heavyweight contender Ryan Bader is another UFC veteran that has moved to Bellator MMA. The website MMAJunkie says Bellator President Scott Corker has informed them that Bader signed a multi-fight contract with Bellator after some time as a free agent when his UFC contract expired. Previous UFC light-heavyweights that have moved to Bellator in the past and present include Tito Ortiz, Quinton Jackson, Stephen Bonnar, Phil Davis, and Chael Sonnen.
Bader was the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 8, and went on to defeat former LH champions such as Keith Jardine, Quinton Jackson, Rashad Evans. Bader also defeated the respected Pride veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. However, Bader lost to other former LH champions such as Jon Jones, Tito Ortiz, and Lyoto Machida.
After his loss to former title challenger Glover Texeira, Bader went on an impressive five fight win streak (including ones over Davis and Evans). But that ended in his last fight after being KOed in the first round by another title challenger named Anthony Johnson. Maybe Bader will have better luck reaching the title in the less competitive Bellator roster.
Dana White announced earlier on Sports Center that Georges St- Pierre will take on the middleweight champion, Michael Bisping in his return fight. No date has been set yet, we only know that they are matched up. Most believed that Yoel Romero would actually get the next shot at the title after his KO on Chris Wiedman.
We haven’t seen GSP since he won a decision victory over Johny Hendricks back at UFC 167, in his last welterweight title defense. GSP comes into this fight on a 12 fight win streak, but how much will ring rust effect him, he has been out several years.
Michael Bisping is coming in on quite a streak himself, picking up wins over Anderson Silva, Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson. Michael had recently stated that he had never had a money fight, this one should certainly net him a big pay day.
This will be the first time GSP has fought at middleweight. He won his last 12 fights in the UFC’s welterweight division. The last time GSP lost a fight was to Matt Serra way back in 2007 on the UFC 69 card. George won the rematch and never lost again.
Michael Bisping is riding a 5 fight win streak and is at the top of the middleweight division. It will be interesting to see how this fight plays out. Will GSP still be the super strong wrestler at middleweight? Another great question is what about that Go Fund Me money Yoel was raising for Michael Bisping?