BREAKING: Chael Sonnen to return to MMA, signs with Bellator

Bellator scores the “Bad Guy”.

In one of the more shocking signings of the past couple of years, Chael Sonnen has parted ways with the UFC and is heading to rival promotion Bellator MMA. News of the signing was confirmed by MMAFighing after an initial report by The Associated Press.

Sonnen (29-14-1), who is  39 years old, has not competed since his November, 2013 loss to Rashad Evans. He recently served a two-year suspension handed by the Nevada Athletic Commission for failing multiple drug tests in 2014.

Sonnen told The MMA Hour in July that he was interested in fighting again and had officially entered the UFC’s USADA drug testing pool.

“I definitely have that itch,” Sonnen said. “I fantasize about it. But it’s one step at a time. I’m not holding back from you. I’m not acting like my return is some kind of breaking news. I’d tell it to you right now. But I have to pass this first test, quite frankly. It’s still out there. I’ve gotta pass it. If I pass that, I’ll pass all of them. But I have to know that everything is out. Boom, step one down.”

 

Sonnen went 6-5 in his time as a UFC fighter and competed for both the UFC Middlweight and Light Heavyweight championships and faced the likes of Demian Maia, Yushin Okami, Nate Marquardt, Michael Bisping, Shogun Rua, Rashad Evans, Jon Jones, and of course a well documented rivalry with Anderson Silva.

With Chael Sonnen still being one of the most prolific fighters to ever step in the cage, this makes this signing one of the biggest for Bellator this year, after major signings such as Benson Henderson, and Rory Macdonald.

Result: Eddie Alvarez dethrones Dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight championship

It was a storybook finish for Eddie Alvarez. After a decorated career with Bellator as their longtime reigning champion, Eddie Alvarez is now your new UFC Lightweight champion.

Rafael dos Anjos met Eddie Alvarez Thursday night and was met with one of the greatest onslaughts ever witnessed in a championship fight. After landinga BIG right hand that wobbled the champion, Alvarez threw everything he had in an all-out attempt to claim gold. Alvarez then leaped in with a huge knee, but this allowed Dos Anjos to land on top. With ninety seconds left and back to his feet, the former Bellator star would not be denied as he continued to pursue the finish with heinous punches from every direction leaving dos Anjos very little time to react at all, which ultimately left referee Herb Dean no choice but to stop the bout, and just like that a new champion was crowned.

With this historic title win, Eddie Alvarez becomes the first fighter in MMA history to have won a title in both Bellator and the UFC.

Jon Jones pulled from UFC 200 due to possible USADA violation, Lesnar vs. Hunt moved to UFC 200 main event

Jon Jones has pulled some blunders in his time with the UFC, but this one could potentially take the cake.

Former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been removed from his main event championship bout with Daniel Cormier at UFC 200 just three days out due to a potential violation in a USADA drug test administered on June 16th last month.

Due to this drastic card change, Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt has been promoted to the main event but will remain a scheduled three rounds.

“The UFC was notified tonight that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has informed Jon Jones of a potential anti-doping policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection on June 16, 2016. USADA, an independent administrator of the anti-doping policy, will handle results management and appropriate adjudication of this case. It is important to note that under the UFC anti-doping policy, there is a full, fair legal review process that is afforded to all athletes before any sanctions are imposed. However, because Jones was scheduled to fight Cormier this coming Saturday, July 9 in Vegas, there is insufficient time for a full review before the scheduled bout, and therefore the bout has been removed from the fight card.

UFC President Dana White has yet to rule out a possible opponent for Daniel Cormier. White quote.

CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall set for UFC 203

The Cult of Personallity, as they called him in the WWE, CM Punk will seemingly and finally be making his UFC debut and we now know where and when.

On September 10th in Cleveland Ohio, Punk will face off against Looking for a Fight feature fighter Mickey Gall.

Punk (AKA Phil Brooks) will look to be making his long awaited debut that night after announcing his signing with the UFC at UFC 181 way back in December of 2014. CM Punk was one of the most revolutionary stars of the WWE from 2007-2014. He retired from Pro Wrestling and soon after made his desires known that he would be giving MMA a legitimate run. He has since joined MMA gym Roufusport, run by Duke Roufus, in preparation for his eventual bout inside the Octagon.

Gall (2-0, 1-0 in UFC) made his Octagon debut earlier this Spring, defeating fellow novice fighter Mike Jackson. Gall was featured on the Zuffa produced show Looking for a Fight, where after winning his scheduked bout, infamously called out Brooks and begged Dana White who was in attendance for the opportunity to be he debut opponent.

UFC 203 will take place at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio and will feature a Heavyweight championship bout between newly crowned champion Stipe Miocic and number one contender Alistair Overeem. This will be the UFC’s first trip to Cleveland.

Dan Henderson: I want to fight Bisping for the title and then I’ll call it a career

Dan Henderson has already fought through one of the most legendary careers that there has ever been in our sport. He’s fought from Welterweight all the way to Heavyweight. He’s a two-division champion of PRIDE, and the former Light Heavyweight champion of Strikeforce. And the future Hall of Famer cemented the perfect ending to his MMA journey  at UFC 199. Henderson took on Hector Lombard and, after nearly being knocked out cold in the first round, came back in the second and decimated Lombard with a fight ending back elbow.

Afterwards, Henderson said he wouldn’t make any hasty decisions about calling it a career immediately. But with Michael Bisping’s amazing upset of Luke Rockhold in the night’s main event, fans and media alike had been pondering and calling for the rematch with the Middleweight title on the line.

Henderson’s camp and management had cited Dan’s possible desire for the match-up over the last week. Now having taken that time to celebrate the victory, and contemplate his career and a match-up with the British champion, Henderson joined Nick Peralta on the MMA Discussion podcast Monday afternoon to solidify his thoughts on what may be left for him in his career.

“(Fighting Bisping) is definitely something that I would do. But it would definitely be my last fight for sure. Win or lose. I’m obviously confident that I would win, but win or lose I would make that my retirement fight.”

Bisping won the epic upset over the now-former champion Luke Rockhold via knockout in the first round. It was quite the spectacular sight, especially considering first-round knockouts are not the general manner in which you see a Bisping fight end. Henderson, of course, caught the fight and had his thoughts on Bisping’s style and his historic win.

“He’s always been the same way. He’s of course well-rounded, he’s always in shape. He always tries to outpoint people. I think in this last fight with Luke Rockhold, he landed punches right where he needed to. He hasn’t shown big power in the past, so maybe he’s gotten a little bit better with his power but it just seemed like he landed some punches that were right on the button and was able to knock Luke out. I don’t think he’s changed all that much. Obviously he has improved in little ways. 

I think Luke kind of went in there a little cocky and just paid the price. Bisping just stayed the course, fighting his fight, and didn’t worry about Luke so much and just worried about what he had to do an he did it and it worked out well for him. I don’t think there was anything other than that that went on.”

When asked if he would take any other fights in order to earn that championship bout Henderson didn’t shy away from the possibility of taking one more fight before fighting “The Count” but further enforced that Bisping was the fight most deserving of his swan song.

“I don’t know how much (longer) I want to fight, it all depends on who they offer me. I’d be interested in maybe one more fight. I’m pretty close to being done though and I asked my fans the other day who do you want me to fight in my last fight and like 99% of them said Bisping. So that’s what I hope happens because that’s who the fans want to see me fight. There was a couple that said Anderson Silva, a couple that said Fedor. But I think the one right now that makes the most sense. Him winning that title has given me the (motivation) to want to fight him again. I didn’t have any reason (before), I wouldn’t be able to knock him out any better or more exciting than I did the first time. Now with him having the belt, that gives me a reason, and gives him reason as far as being able to get some redemption.”

The full interview with Dan Henderson will be released on Wednesday, June 15th. Check MMA Discussion or MMA Outsiders on Facebook and Twitter or here on MMAOutsiders.com.

Report: Kimbo Slice hospitalized in “dire situation”

Bellator Heavyweight and former Boxer Kimbo Slice (aka Kevin Ferguson) was reportedly hospitalized near his native home in Coral Springs, Florida on Monday afternoon.

Law enforcement was the on scene, which hints at the possibility of foul play. TMZ was first to report on scene and cited multiple sources stating “the situation does not look good. ”

More on this story here on MMAOutsiders.com as it develops.

Kimbo Slice is scheduled to face James Thompson in a main event rematch at Bellator 158 in London, England and is currently serving a 90-day suspension from the Texas State Athletic commission.

BREAKING: Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt added to UFC 200!

Brock Lesnar will face the “Super Samoan” at UFC 200!

Joining Hannah Storm during the Monday morning on SportsCenter, the former UFC Heavyweight champion announced he will face Mark Hunt at the blockbuster event event.

“Why not? It could be anybody. I didn’t care,” Lesnar said of the announcement. “If Dana White called me and said, ‘You have opponent X, Y, and Z, who do you want?’ He never gave me those options. This is the guy that we want you to face, I said, ‘Great. This is what I’m going to do.'”

Lesnar (5-3, 4-3 in UFC) last competed at UFC 141 in December 2011, where he was defeated via first-round TKO by Alistair Overeem, who will compete for the Heavyweight crown at UFC 203. During his initial UFC run, Lesnar went 4-3, winning the title against Randy Couture at UFC 92 and twice defending the championship against Frank Mir and Shane Carwin before losing it to Cain Velasquez.

Hunt(12-10-1, 7-4-1 in UFC ) has won two straight fights both by knockout, one being against “Bigfoot” Silva at the historic UFC 193 event, and most recently earned a first-round starching of Frank Mir at UFC Fight Night 85.

UFC 200 takes place at the T-Mobile Arena on July 9th and will be headlined by a UFC Light Heavyweight title fight between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones.

Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem set for UFC 203 in Cleveland

New UFC Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will be defending his title for the first time in his own backyard of Cleveland, Ohio against Alistair Overeem.

The fight was announced on UFC Tonight Wednesday night.

Miocic (15-2, 9-2 in UFC) most recently captured the Heavyweight title back at UFC 198 in a stunning upset and first round knockout of now former champion Fabricio Werdum. Earlier this year he defeated Andrei Arlovksi also by first round knockout. The bout marks the UFC’s first ever visit to Cleveland, and its first event in Ohio since UFC 96, which was held in Columbus in March of 2009. Miocic holds 11 knockout victories out of his 15 total wins.

Overeem (41-14 (1), 6-3 in UFC) is currently riding the biggest streak of his UFC career with four straight wins. Three of which have been knockout finishes against Stefan Struve, Junior dos Santos, and most recently Andrei Arlovski. Overeem’s overall fighting style has taken a notable turn as of late since joining the famed Jackson-Winklejohn gym in New Mexico. Currently holding the longest winning streak in the Heavyweight division at the moment, Overeem seems intent on adding to his long resume by adding a UFC championship to his already impressive mantle.

UFC 203 takes place on September 10 at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. No other bouts have yet to be added to this card.

Colin Cowherd of ‘The Herd’ claims Mayweather vs. McGregor is happening in September

So yeah, this thing just won’t die.

Over the last few weeks, there have been rumblings of a possible Mayweather-McGregor match-up going around, building more and more momentum as the days go by. With Mayweather and McGregor both stating that they would love the fight to happen. With the buzz of this hypothetical match-up getting attention from nearly every sports media outlet, it’s hard for the noise to die down. Even as unrealistic as the bout seems, over time more and more angles keep leaving a foot in the door of this supposed fight.

Monday Morning, that angle came in the form of immediate boot stomp to the center of this door as Colin Cowherd, on his podcast “The Herd” which airs on Fox Sports said that the fight is going to happen in mid-September in Las Vegas, Nevada. Also noting that the fight would be announced in a couple of weeks. Colin claimed knowledge of this news from multiple sources.

“News I believe is gonna break here in about 2 weeks…I have already booked two rooms, September 17th and 18th in Las Vegas. My intel is Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call then somebody else sent me something [Sunday] and Saturday. We’ve booked rooms in Vegas. [It’s happening] this September.”

This is easily the most interesting new bit of information surrounding this fight. that has come out so far that, as stated prior, has breathed new life into this possible match-up. While not a breaking news reporter, Cowherd has worked in sports media a long while. Long enough to definitely have certain connections, as well as being an employee for Fox who is deeply integrated with the UFC. So to claim that multiple sources have given him this bit of hectic news is conceivably plausible. Up til this point, the voices sure that the fight was going to happen have been from Mayweather and McGregor themselves. Colin is also the first reporter to suggest an actual date that we can point to for this fight. Cowherd went on to discuss what may have lead to the actuality of this bout:

“Mayweather did have a very bad last pay per view gate. 550,000 people, he tries to get 2 to 3 million. So I think this is the most profitable fight for CBS and Mayweather. CBS has been working with Mayweather for years. That’s why his fights are on Showtime, because CBS owns Showtime. So Les Moonves [President and CEO of CBS] and the CBS peeps have decided, ‘let’s talk to the Fox – UFC peeps’ and you’ve got Fox and CBS, you’ve got UFC, you’ve got boxing, you’ve got Floyd, you’ve got Conor. It’s gonna make a lot of money for people.”

Well that’d be nice. To get a combined promotional push from CBS, Fox, Showtime, the UFC, Mayweather and McGregor would be not only phenomenal but unparalleled. With all these parties together pushing this fight, it could conceivably pull the biggest pay per view buys in combat sports history. However to get that many different promotional parties to agree the many various particulars that go into a Boxing fight these days seems highly unlikely still. Many big time Boxing fights in today’s time take quite awhile to formulate due to the many politics in creating the terms both sides can agree on. Hell, it took Mayweather-Pacquiao five years to happen. So for all these parties to have come together and agree on all terms in such a short time span seems highly implausible.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a good fight but it’s an event. Nik Wallenda, in Chicago, did a tightrope walk between condos and a parking garage. I watched. I don’t care about balance I don’t care about – that part of Chicago doesn’t interest me. It’s not Lake Shore Drive, it’s not one of my favorite lounges. I watched a guy walk across a tightrope on a windy night in Chicago. And I’m like, ‘this is fascinating.’ …

Should this miraculous fight happen however, it would certainly be one of the greatest combat sport spectacles we’ll undoubtedly ever see in our lifetime.

 

Report: Chris Weidman out of UFC 199 due to injury, UFC currently seeking replacement

UFC 199 has taken a huge hit as it’s main event fight will likely have a different bout when all is said and done after news hit Tuesday that Chris Weidman was reportedly removed from the top slot on the card due to a hand injury. He was scheduled to meet Middleweight champion Luke Rockhold in a rematch of their UFC 194 bout.

Talk MMA first reported the news.

Two candidates are likely to be considered. On one hand you have Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza who is coming off a near perfect performance at UFC 198 this past Saturday against former UFC Light Heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort where he finished his fellow Brazilian with a first round  (T)KO.

Another potential candidate would be Michael “The Count” Bisping who last defeated Anderson Silva this past February by judges decision. Upon hearing the news of Weidman’s injury, Bisping took to Twitter to express his desire to compete in a rematch against Rockhold for the UFC Middleweight championship.

mic

UFC 199 is set to take place June 4 in Inglewood, Calif. Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber III for the Bantamweight title is the co-main event.